Re: Two more concrete ideas for what a once-yearly+update schedule would look like

On Fri, 2016-12-09 at 20:46 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 19:41:28 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > And? What*s the problem? It's part of a packagers job to balance the
> > tradeoffs and find a viable compromise.
>
> You don't need to agree. In the reply you've truncated, I've only pointed
> out how I feel about the updates flood. It's my number one reason why I've
> pretty much given up spending karma points in bodhi as all too often an
> update had been pushed before I could vote -1. Rushing out updates
> defeats the purpose of Test Updates, IMO. And nothing is done to make
> the updates-testing repo more sexy.

There are much simpler ways to deal with this, if it's really a
problem. The fact that updates default to auto-push after +3 karma is
entirely plucked out of the air, it's just something someone made up
one day. We could *certainly* change that. I'd be quite interested in a
tweak where there's a minimum-time-in-testing value for autopush too,
which would default to say 2 days. The way that would work is automatic
push would never happen until the update had actually been in updates-
testing (not queued for push) for that long. *Manual* push could still
be done during that time, and the update submitter could make the
minimum-time-in-testing value larger or smaller (as they can make the
karma threshold for autopush greater or smaller). 2 days would just be
the default (and is similarly a number I've just made up; we could make
it something else).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey