Re: Two more concrete ideas for what a once-yearly+update schedule would look like

On 9 December 2016 at 11:07, Colin Walters <walters@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2016, at 09:26 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
>
>> Anyways, in the big picture, while I don't speak for everyone on the Project Atomic side,
>> I personally point users at CentOS first, unless I have some reason to think they want Fedora.
>> Something like 80% of Fedora usage hitting the mirrors was desktop systems, right?
>> I don't expect that to change personally.
>
> Although..except for EPEL.  And how EPEL works should obviously be part of this.
> Things would feel clearer if EPEL lived in CentOS now perhaps.

It might however EPEL relies on a large amount of infrastructure that
is tied deep in Fedora. Trying to 'move' it over to CentOS is not easy
without a lot of that infrastructure also moving over to CentOS or
starting from scratch over in CentOS. It also would take a lot of time
and effort that no one wants to fund but would like people to do for
them for free. That and every time it is brought up, various groups
want to use it as the time to restart every argument they lost
sometime in the past from repotags to putting it all in /opt to the
logo looks like a horse's ass.

[By the way, this isn't a "it shouldn't happen" as much as "beware the
surgery you are trying to do.. pus ridden gangrene will quickly set in
if not done well and will probably show up anyway."]

Stephen J Smoogen.