Re: Two more concrete ideas for what a once-yearly+update schedule would look like

On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 01:18:31PM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 19:45:55 +0100, Christian Dersch wrote:
>
> > On 12/08/2016 07:26 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > > I would like to see us stop pushing non security updates to updates from
> > > updates-testing entirely and do it in monthly batches instead.  we would push
> > > daily security fixes and updates-testing.  However this would make atomic host
> > > 2 week releases much less useful, as there would be no updates except for once
> > > a month.
> > >

> > What do you expect from monthly batches? I *really* don't like things
> > like "patchdays". Besides security fixes there are also other situations
> > like small but annoying bugs… IMHO the current model with updates repo
> > works fine, I see no reason to make a change here.
>
> The apparently random flow of poorly tested "rushed out" updates is a
> major drawback of Fedora's current release process. It reminds me too much
> of the infamous dumping ground for packages.
>
> We jump over many hops to release a "stable" distribution. Then we take it
> apart as we unleash more and more updates, which move away from what has
> gone through the Alpha/Beta freeze and testing process. Too many packages
> get changed and invalidate all the testing of previous releases.
>
> We also change the repo metadata too often due to this flood of updates.
> Users already wonder why the metadata need to be refreshed so often? One
> packager pushes a minor version update for some niche market font, for
> example, and the repo changes for everyone.

A strawman proposal: when updates are created, we now fill out a "severity"
field. Let's make use of this field, and batch the way that updates are
pushed out from updates-testing to updates:
- urgent → right now (as fast as we can make it)
- high → daily
- medium → up to a week delay
- low/unspecified → next biweekly batch

(I put unspecified together with low, so that people learn to fill out the field ;))

This would make the updates process nicer for users without
adding much more complexity.

Zbyszek