Re: Two more concrete ideas for what a once-yearly+update schedule would look like

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 11:30 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 01:18:31PM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:

>> > What do you expect from monthly batches? I *really* don't like things
>> > like "patchdays". Besides security fixes there are also other situations
>> > like small but annoying bugs… IMHO the current model with updates repo
>> > works fine, I see no reason to make a change here.
>>
>> The apparently random flow of poorly tested "rushed out" updates is a
>> major drawback of Fedora's current release process. It reminds me too much
>> of the infamous dumping ground for packages.
>>
>> We jump over many hops to release a "stable" distribution. Then we take it
>> apart as we unleash more and more updates, which move away from what has
>> gone through the Alpha/Beta freeze and testing process. Too many packages
>> get changed and invalidate all the testing of previous releases.
>>
>> We also change the repo metadata too often due to this flood of updates.
>> Users already wonder why the metadata need to be refreshed so often? One
>> packager pushes a minor version update for some niche market font, for
>> example, and the repo changes for everyone.
>
> A strawman proposal: when updates are created, we now fill out a "severity"
> field. Let's make use of this field, and batch the way that updates are
> pushed out from updates-testing to updates:
> - urgent → right now (as fast as we can make it)
> - high → daily
> - medium → up to a week delay
> - low/unspecified → next biweekly batch
>
> (I put unspecified together with low, so that people learn to fill out the field ;))

I did something like this many moons ago.  In the end, it was a wash.
Push frequency without repository separation basically means the
frequency is irrelevant because when the updates show up is entirely
dependent upon when the user runs 'dnf update' or similar.

> This would make the updates process nicer for users without
> adding much more complexity.

That is actually untrue because of how our updates backend process
works.  Doing it this way requires multiple pushes for the same
cumulative set of updates and it requires tooling to be written to do
the filtering.  So it is less complex for users, but more work for
those processing the updates.

josh