Re: Two more concrete ideas for what a once-yearly+update schedule would look like

On jueves, 8 de diciembre de 2016 9:17:14 AM CST Matthew Miller wrote:
> Trying to make this idea a little more concrete. Here's two suggestions
> for how it might work. These are strawman ideas -- please provide
> alternates, poke holes, etc. And particularly from a QA and rel-eng
> point of view. Both of these are not taking modularity into account in
> any way; it's "how we could do this with our current distro-building
> process".
>

> Option 1: Big batched update
>
>   1. Release F26 according to schedule
>      https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/26/Schedule
>
>   2. At the beginning of October, stop pushing non-security updates
>      from updates-testing to updates
>
>   3. Bigger updates (desktop environment refreshes, etc.) allowed into
>      updates-testing at this time.
>
>   4. Mid-October, freeze exceptions for getting into updates-testing
>      even.
>
>   5. Test all of that together in Some Handwavy Way for serious
>      problems and regressions.
>
>   6. Once all good, push from updates-testing to updates at end of
>      October or beginning of November.
>

> Option 2: Branching!
>
>   1. Release F26 according to schedule.
>
>   2. July/August: branch F26.1 from F26 (not rawhide)
>
>   3. Updates to F26 also go into F26.1 (magic happens here?)
>
>   4. No Alpha, but do "Beta" freeze and validation as normal for
>      release.
>
>   5. And same for F26.1 final
>
>   6. And sometime in October/November, release that (but without big
>      press push).
>
>   7. GNOME Software presents F26.1 as upgrade option
>
>   8. F26 continues in parallel through December
>
>   9. In January, update added to F26 which activates the F26.1 repo.
>
>  10. And also in January updates stop going to F26.

I have been talking with adamw about dropping alpha releases entirely. I was
planning to outline all of it at DevConf but the talk was rejected so I will
have to find another way to lay out the plans I have to change many things.

I would like to see us stop pushing non security updates to updates from
updates-testing entirely and do it in monthly batches instead.  we would push
daily security fixes and updates-testing.  However this would make atomic host
2 week releases much less useful, as there would be no updates except for once
a month.

Dennis