Re: Two more concrete ideas for what a once-yearly+update schedule would look like

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 12:40 PM, Przemek Klosowski
<przemek.klosowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So, my TL;DR message is, think carefully what aspects are important
> (technical? organizational? marketing?), what constituencies are involved in
> each, what changes are desirable, how to measure their effect, and then come
> up with processes to effect those changes.

I'd like to build on this a little bit. I'm concerned that we've gone
straight to discussing the "how" without a clear picture of the "why".
What would we want to accomplish with a change in the release
schedule? mattdm said:

> So, first, putting together a release is a lot of work. If we're
> stepping on the toes of the previous releases, are we wasting some of
> that work?
>
> Second, from a press/PR point of view, I think we get less total press
> from having twice-a-year releases than we would from just having one
> big one. When it's so frequent, it doesn't feel like news.

The first point is a good question, but what if the answer is "no,
we're not wasting some of that work"? For the second point, the
solution could be to do a better job on the marketing side, or to
focus on a few really kickass features for a given release.

I'm not opposed to making changes, but I'd like to know what it is
we're trying to accomplish in a semi-concrete manner. Then we can
figure out the changes necessary to get there.

Thanks,
BC

--
Ben Cotton