Re: Two more concrete ideas for what a once-yearly+update schedule would look like

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 12:40:49 -0500
Przemek Klosowski <przemek.klosowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12/08/2016 11:10 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > It's my plan to explore different ideas to continue to make Fedora
> > more successful as measured by user and contributor growth,
> > contributor return on effort, and fulfillment of our mission.
> Your stated goals are quite high level, so I would like to step back
> and ask some broad questions before discussing fairly detailed
> technical choices between your options.
> I do realize that rehashing the 'rolling vs. point release'
> discussion can't be made in abstract, but I always had hard time
> separating technical and psychological, marketing and organizational
> arguments in that debate. I think you as the leadership should be
> thinking it through more clearly than I'm able to.
>
> Specifically, I think that for someone who already has a working
> Fedora installation, the point releases are a distinction without
> much difference: I think the users want a smoothly running system
> being continuously upgraded. They don't care if sometimes such update
> takes longer and changes are deeper than usual. If all goes well,
> they should always be on a usable system. As a 'reductio ad absurdum'
> exercise, far out in the future, why should anyone be excited by
> arrival of Fedora 139? We're treating the releases as precious pets,
> but they are really doomed to become cattle :)
...snip...

I just want to note here why I don't think rolling releases are great
for everyone: WIth a rolling release you have to roughly consume
changes as maintainers of your release push them to you. With a point
release system you have much more choice when to switch.

For example, say you are a heavy user of libreoffice and have a
important class using it. You don't want to be forced to upgrade while
you are busy using the application, you would rather wait until you are
in a time of lesser activity and spent the time then to learn the new
version.

kevin