Re: Two more concrete ideas for what a once-yearly+update schedule would look like

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016, at 01:26 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

> I would like to see us stop pushing non security updates to updates from
> updates-testing entirely and do it in monthly batches instead.  we would push
> daily security fixes and updates-testing.  However this would make atomic host
> 2 week releases much less useful, as there would be no updates except for once
> a month.

Remember the "2 week releases" are only images, they don't relate to the
primary update mechanism of ostree commits (nor for that matter the rpm-md repos, which is
what I think most people here are talking about): https://pagure.io/releng/issue/6545

Anyways, in the big picture, while I don't speak for everyone on the Project Atomic side,
I personally point users at CentOS first, unless I have some reason to think they want Fedora.
Something like 80% of Fedora usage hitting the mirrors was desktop systems, right?
I don't expect that to change personally.

Of course we need to, and will continue to do server-related work in Fedora.  It's
defined to be the upstream.  What I want as a developer is a place to integration
test things rapidly - more than once a day, and do continuous delivery from our
main upstreams (from systemd, anaconda etc.) - with rollback (what ostree
was designed to do, and we aren't using).

As far as release cadence from that - monthly feels a little slow but I wouldn't
be opposed.  In the end though if we containerize more fully, the question
gets both easier and more complex as we'd (I'd assume) use the ability
to have separate cadences for applications vs OS base vs development tools etc.