Towards a targeted hardware list [was Re: Fedora on Macs, removing the release criterion]

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 09:01:52AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> I would not be at all surprised to see a response to 1) be an effort to
> define some specific hardware configurations that Workstation targets.

Not completely by coincidence, I raised this at a Red Hat meeting this
week. Since Red Hat is our primary sponsor and all, there's long (like,
for twenty years) been the community knowledge that if you use the
laptops Red Hat buys its employees, you have better odds. Red Hat IT is
going through the process of standardizing the company on some select
models (I don't know the details yet), and I asked if we could make
that list public in Fedora — and was told "absolutely".

So, that could be the foundation of a list of "targeted" models (I
don't want to say "supported", since that's so loaded). Obviously, this
is Red Hat bringing their particular stake to the table — or to use
Smooge's metaphor, bringing some potatoes to the soup. I doubt that
without a significant deal from Apple (which is vanishingly unlikely!)
we would include Mac support in that, though, and it's probably not
going to even include all of the PC hardware Fedora would like to run
well on, so if we want that, we do need... more veggies.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>