Re: Fedora on Macs, removing the release criterion

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Andreas Tunek <andreas.tunek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Apple's business model is based on selling you a golden cage.  They are entitled
>>> to do that and we are entitled to dislike it.
>>
>> Certainly. My point is that I don't feel that we are necessarily responsible for
>> working around their antagonism either. Yes, it would be nice if Fedora
>> supported all hardware ever made. But the simple truth is that Apple tries very
>> hard to make it *not* work. They have a vested interest in that.
>>
>> So I assert that while support for Apple hardware is desirable, I don't believe
>> that the lack of it should prevent us from shipping Fedora for all the other
>> hardware that we do support.
>>

> If you stop supporting certain hardware right before release due to a
> regression bug you set a very troublesome precedent. It not only means
> that the work people did developing and testing the features where
> wasted, it also means that Fedora can toss out any feature at any time
> if there is a bug. And that is not a very stable OS to use and
> contribute to.

If the features were developed and tested during the creation of the
release, why would they fail criteria at the last minute?  You are
making a good argument to not throw away something because "people
don't like it", but in the context of this discussion there seems to
be a distinct lack of resources actually doing the work.  It may be
perfectly justifiable to do a release anyway under that premise.

Also, there is a large difference between shipping a release that
works on a majority of hardware with the goal of fixing it where it
doesn't after, and "stop supporting certain hardware".

Lastly, support is a very loaded word, particularly in the context of
a community driven project.  We actually do not have an x86 equivalent
of the ARM supported-boards list, so it's completely random as to what
laptops and desktops are tested and prioritized.  That might be
something to focus on going forward.

josh