Fedora on Macs, removing the release criterion

https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-2/2016-11-10/f25-final-gono-go-meeting.2016-11-10-17.00.log.html

>>>17:10:26 <adamw> i can't really vote -1 on this under the current criteria unless someone tries on a newer mac and it works. but given https://www.happyassassin.net/testcase_stats/25/Installation/QA_Testcase_dualboot_with_OSX_Miscellaneous.html , i am entirely open to dropping the criterion on the basis of failure to test.

I think it's specious to drop the criterion on this basis. There are
plenty of other things that don't get tested and their criterion don't
get dropped. It's always a last minute rush to test things like active
directory, Free IPA, iSCSI, you know the list way better than I do, so
I don't know why you're picking on this one in contrast to others.

>>>17:12:02 <sgallagh> I've never understood why we would block on failures to run on hardware that actively tries to make it difficult to run Linux on.

Please elaborate on what this means. Specifically I have no idea what
the word "actively" is referring to.

>>>17:20:03 <adamw> oh that's right, Apple decided to have HFS+ formatted 'ESP'. because they're assholes.

No, Macs have a FAT32 ESP just like other hardware does. And it can
use a bootloader on that ESP just like other hardware does. It's how
Ubuntu and openSUSE work on Macs.

It's Anaconda and mactel-boot that make an hfsplus ESP, in order to
trick the firmware into thinking the Fedora bootloaders are a macOS
instance, so that the Mac's bootloader and startup panel will show
Fedora as a boot option. openSUSE and Ubuntu aren't as pretty but
things still work in a more standardized fashion.

So feel free to drop the pretty UI/Ux going forward if maintaining
that is going to cause problems, but I don't see how Fedora meets its
goals by claiming Macs make things difficult for Linux, when in this
Go No Go meeting is a pre-plan to actively make Fedora more difficult
to use on Macs.

--
Chris Murphy