Re: Fedora on Macs, removing the release criterion

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 10:52:15PM +0100, Andreas Tunek wrote:
> AFAIK, you have been able to install Fedora on Intel Macs since 2008
> (that was when I first tried). To not be able to install Fedora on
> (Intel) Macs is a regression.
>
> > Also, there is a large difference between shipping a release that
> > works on a majority of hardware with the goal of fixing it where it
> > doesn't after, and "stop supporting certain hardware".
> >

> How do you fix it if you can't install the release? Do you make a new
> release with all the testing again (to make sure you do not have other
> regression bugs)?
>
> > Lastly, support is a very loaded word, particularly in the context of
> > a community driven project.  We actually do not have an x86 equivalent
> > of the ARM supported-boards list, so it's completely random as to what
> > laptops and desktops are tested and prioritized.  That might be
> > something to focus on going forward.
>
> It has been in the release critera that you should be able to install
> on macs and it has worked for a very long time. If you are going to
> remove that support you should really let people know in advance (not
> a week before release).

You seem to confuse something being in the release criteria, and
something being possible. But that's secondary. If you would like this
scenario to be supported, then commit to testing it before the next
release (in advance, at least a week before the beta freeze).

Zbyszek