Re: Fedora on Macs, removing the release criterion

On Mon, 2016-11-14 at 14:30 -0800, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 1:26 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > If the features were developed and tested during the creation of the
> > release, why would they fail criteria at the last minute?
>
> Bit rot. That particular code is being modified, and there's no
> testing on hardware affected by those changes before they get pushed
> to the Fedora testing canary. This sort of relationship with an
> upstream is exactly the reason why people refer to Fedora as Red Hat's
> test bed.
>
> There's also an imbalance in funding Anaconda churn which is mostly
> paid development, vs Fedora QA which no doubt has a much smaller
> budget and to date has largely depended on unpaid contributors for
> this testing.

BTW, you're acting under one fundamental misconception here: the change
that broke this was in *blivet*, not anaconda. Those development teams
are now quite significantly separate.

It was also a perfectly sensible and good change which led to
substantially clearer and more testable code; it was just an
unfortunate human error that an important condition was missed in the
refactor, and the tests didn't catch it. Humans err. It happens.

> There's seemingly no lack of resources for an installer that's in
> continuous development without any apparent improvement in usability
> or stability or blocker bugs since Fedora 17.

This is completely false. The stability of anaconda has *greatly*
improved since Fedora 17.

I think you're also substantially overestimating the actual amount of
change that happens in anaconda (never mind the confusion with blivet).
There's quite a lot less than there used to be.

> More canaries of any sort is not going to help find the source of the
> problem and the solution. What's needed are people who can do the
> proper kind of reporting, and there simply aren't enough of those to
> keep up with all of OUR weird changes and code churn.

I think before you keep up this line of argument you should provide
some concrete examples of the 'weird changes' and 'code churn' you are
claiming.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey