Re: Recommended upgrade procedure for >1 release upgrades

On 11/18/2016 01:02 AM, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> On Qui, 2016-11-17 at 21:04 +0100, Christian Dersch wrote:
>>
>> On 11/17/2016 09:01 PM, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
>>> Why not using a similar scheme from Libre Office [1] where Fedora
>>> 25 is
>>> the more recent version while Fedora 24 is more stable?
>> Why consider F24 more stable? Both releases are stable @same level in
>> general.
>
> Because F24 is indeed more stable ?
> Luya, IMO, give a good point, user may want move to F24 (because is
> more stable than F25) , so if we can't have choice in Gnome Software,
> maybe I change my opinion, to the next one ( just because is more
> stable )

It's counter-intuitive, but as a general rule, Fedora is most stable right at
release time and becomes less so throughout its lifecycle. This is because
release time is (currently) the only period when Fedora is vigorously tested
(for release validation).

After release, packages of course need to go through Bodhi, but they're tested
individually (if at all...) and then go into stable without any kind of holistic
systems testing. As a result, small incompatibilities grow up over time.

Yes, Fedora has gotten a lot better about this over the years and our releases
don't become *unstable* in general. But the idea that they become *more* stable
over time is an outright lie :)