Recommended upgrade procedure for >1 release upgrades

Hi, folks!

While looking into an issue with how GNOME Software decides which release to offer an upgrade to when there's more than one plausible candidate, I noticed something interesting: we do not actually have a policy on what we 'recommend' people to do in this case.

There's one specifically planned-for (I'm trying hard to avoid using the word 'supported' here) case where a Fedora user may want to upgrade across two release versions at once. It's why we do the release cycle 'overlap', where the N-2 release is maintained for a month after the N release goes stable: we specifically want to allow people not to have to upgrade every single release, but allow them to upgrade every other release instead.

That is, we're generally on record as thinking it's OK to go 23 -> 25 -> 27 -> 29 etc., so long as you do the upgrade within a month of the new release coming out each time.

However, if you look at our official instructions on upgrading:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/24/html/Installation_Guide/chap-preparing-for-installation.html#sect-preparing-upgrade-or-install (that one just links to the wiki page)

You'll notice we don't explicitly specify *how* you should do this. That is, if you're currently running Fedora 23, and you want to upgrade to Fedora 25 next week, are you supposed to:

i) Upgrade to Fedora 24 first, then from Fedora 24 to Fedora 25
ii) Upgrade directly to Fedora 25

It's hard for us to request specific behaviour from gnome-software when we don't actually know which approach we as a distribution recommend :)

A couple of releases ago, direct N+2 upgrades were written into the release criteria, which now read:

"For each one of the release-blocking package sets, it must be possible to successfully complete a direct upgrade from fully updated installations of the last two stable Fedora releases with that package set installed."

openQA tests direct N+2 upgrades of Workstation, KDE, Server and minimal package sets.

This is obviously indicative, but still, it only considers clean installs of the release-blocking package sets. In the real world, people upgrade with much messier package sets.

As another data point, while updating the 'upgrading with bare dnf' (not dnf-system-upgrade) instructions a couple of weeks back, I noticed those instructions recommended the 'upgrade one release at a time' strategy.

So, I guess the questions here are:

1) Which of the two should be our 'officially recommended' approach?
2) Should we also say the other one is OK but just less-recommended, or specifically discourage it?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey