Re: Recommended upgrade procedure for >1 release upgrades

On 11/17/2016 07:26 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Hi, folks!
>
> While looking into an issue with how GNOME Software decides which
> release to offer an upgrade to when there's more than one plausible
> candidate, I noticed something interesting: we do not actually have a
> policy on what we 'recommend' people to do in this case.
>
> There's one specifically planned-for (I'm trying hard to avoid using the
> word 'supported' here) case where a Fedora user may want to upgrade
> across two release versions at once. It's why we do the release cycle
> 'overlap', where the N-2 release is maintained for a month after the N
> release goes stable: we specifically want to allow people not to have to
> upgrade every single release, but allow them to upgrade every other
> release instead.
>
> That is, we're generally on record as thinking it's OK to go 23 -> 25 ->
> 27 -> 29 etc., so long as you do the upgrade within a month of the new
> release coming out each time.
>
> However, if you look at our official instructions on upgrading:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/24/html/Installation_Guide/chap-preparing-for-installation.html#sect-preparing-upgrade-or-install
> (that one just links to the wiki page)
>
> You'll notice we don't explicitly specify *how* you should do this. That
> is, if you're currently running Fedora 23, and you want to upgrade to
> Fedora 25 next week, are you supposed to:
>
> i) Upgrade to Fedora 24 first, then from Fedora 24 to Fedora 25
> ii) Upgrade directly to Fedora 25
>
> It's hard for us to request specific behaviour from gnome-software when
> we don't actually know which approach we as a distribution recommend :)
>
> A couple of releases ago, direct N+2 upgrades were written into the
> release criteria, which now read:
>
> "For each one of the release-blocking package sets, it must be possible
> to successfully complete a direct upgrade from fully updated
> installations of the last two stable Fedora releases with that package
> set installed."
>
> openQA tests direct N+2 upgrades of Workstation, KDE, Server and minimal
> package sets.
>
> This is obviously indicative, but still, it only considers clean
> installs of the release-blocking package sets. In the real world, people
> upgrade with much messier package sets.
>
> As another data point, while updating the 'upgrading with bare dnf' (not
> dnf-system-upgrade) instructions a couple of weeks back, I noticed those
> instructions recommended the 'upgrade one release at a time' strategy.
>
> So, I guess the questions here are:
>
> 1) Which of the two should be our 'officially recommended' approach?
> 2) Should we also say the other one is OK but just less-recommended, or
> specifically discourage it?

OK, so we have two cases here:

1) gnome-software as is currently in F23 and F24

2) gnome-software future releases

For (1), the version of gnome-software in F23 and F24 currently doesn't
have the UI in place to allow choosing which version to upgrade to, so
gnome-software needs to somehow automatically pick the version. My idea
here was patch F23 and F24 gnome-softwares so that they always offer the
latest non-development version, bounding it to N+2.

Example: A user has F23 installed. F24 comes out. gnome-software offers
to upgrade to F24. 6 months later F25 comes out, gnome-software switches
to offering a F23 to F25 upgrade. 3 years later when F23 and F25 are
both EOL, F23 gnome-software still continues to offer the F25 upgrade.

As for (2), I guess we should do the same as (1) but just allow the user
to choose the N+1 release as well in addition to N+2.

--
Kalev