Re: PSA: Do not run 'dnf update' inside GNOME, KDE or any other graphical desktop on Fedora 24

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 3:14 PM, Przemek Klosowski
<przemek.klosowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/04/2016 08:12 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>
> The first is what happens on the other 90% of the world's computers,
> including Android system updates. Consider that. The second exists,
> right now, and it works and it's a lot better than what the rest of
> the world uses.
>
> What do you mean by 'system'? Android apps update online just fine.

It depends on what's being updated. If Google Play is updated, I've
experienced erratic and sluggish applications until the phone is
rebooted. System is anything that's a package rather than the blobs
they stick into various partitions and mandate a reboot to apply.

> I think it is a mistake to require reboot for _every_
> update, even though, as you say, even user apps sometimes _cannot_ be
> updated online (*). I am comfortable with online updates, and I take more
> drastic action---restart apps and/or reboot---only when I actually see
> problems.

If you read all the posts I cited, it's pretty clear that the notion
updates are really being used if you haven't rebooted is entirely
illusory/wishful thinking. There's a good chance you wouldn't know
there were a problem.The only way to be sure is to reboot.

--
Chris Murphy