Re: PSA: Do not run 'dnf update' inside GNOME, KDE or any other graphical desktop on Fedora 24

On 10/5/2016 2:40 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 3:14 PM, Przemek Klosowski
<przemek.klosowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think it is a mistake to require reboot for _every_
update, even though, as you say, even user apps sometimes _cannot_ be
updated online (*). I am comfortable with online updates, and I take more
drastic action---restart apps and/or reboot---only when I actually see
problems.
If you read all the posts I cited, it's pretty clear that the notion
updates are really being used if you haven't rebooted is entirely
illusory/wishful thinking. There's a good chance you wouldn't know
there were a problem.The only way to be sure is to reboot.

I don't know what the dnf equivalent is, but isn't that precisely what the 'needs-restarting' command provided?

And speaking more broadly, a competent RH-derived-distro administrator is already aware of this concern about libraries not taking effect. They also have the tools (lsof, etc.) at their disposal to make their own decisions on a live system about whether a service (or the host itself, for things like glibc) should be bounced when updating a library package.

It feels like any auto-restart behavior (outside of the %post scriptlets in the service packages themselves) should be advisory in nature.

-jc