Re: PROPOSAL: Blocking the release is our only "big hammer" — let's add a softer one.

On Wed, 2016-10-05 at 16:26 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:

> Probably would should just use the existing freeze exception process
> for this purpose? What's the benefit of adding another thing?

One thing about the freeze exception process is that we only actually
review proposed freeze exceptions when it makes sense to - i.e. when
we're actually in (or about to enter) a freeze. So there can be quite
long periods when proposed freeze exceptions aren't being reviewed.

There can also be bugs that are freeze exceptions but aren't actually
terribly important, funny as it may sound. For instance, we typically
grant freeze exceptions for fixing dependency errors, even if the
package with the error is something incredibly obscure that only two
people care about, just on the basis that it's nice to have as few
consistency issues in the 'frozen' release trees as possible. But if
it's a pretty obscure package, that's not really a terribly *important*
bug, it's just a cleanliness thing.

Another example along those lines...any non-blocking image being larger
than it's supposed to be is an automatic FE. But again, is it really
that *important* if the Astronomy spin is 10MiB too big? No disrespect
to our astronomer friends :)

The reverse case is also possible: there can be bugs that are quite
important but which it makes no sense to grant a freeze exception to,
because getting the fix into the frozen package set for a given
milestone isn't actually necessary to solve the problem.

So...the freeze exception bug list is actually not as good a proxy for
'non-blocker bugs we really care a lot about' as you might think.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey