Re: Triaging RH Bugzilla and forwarding bugs upstream (Was: F24, small backward steps)

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 11:50 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> RC> IMO, it should be mandatory for Fedora maintainers to look into RH
>> RC> Bugzilla, because that's the product they are "maintaining" and what
>> RC> users are using.
>>
>> I disagree in general;
>
> Whom do you report problems with HW to in real life? To the manufacturer or
> to a component's manufacturer?
>
> Almost certainly the manufacturer and not to a component's manufacturer.
>
>> when the bug volume exceeds a certain amount
>> bugzilla basically becomes useless.
>

> When the bug volume becomes too large, the causes for this should be
> analysed and be addressed.
>
> In this areas I primarily see 2 groups:
> - Maintainers, who are overloaded with BZs.
> IMO, this primarily is an ego problem and partially a project
> management/leadership problem.

I mostly disagree, but even in the small amount I do agree I believe
you have the order reversed in terms of the primary cause.

> - A package triggering too many BZs.
> IMO, this should question the package's quality.

We have no bar for software quality, only for initial packaging of
said software.  We rely on package maintainers to ensure things work.
Sometimes that isn't really known until a wider audience starts using
the package.  That essentially makes this a subset of your original
problem group of too many BZs.

josh