Re: F24, small backward steps

On 13 September 2016 at 16:03, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-09-13 at 14:33 -0400, Roger Wells wrote:
>> It was the first problem, the one with deja-dup
>
> Where did you report the bug? The upstream bug tracker is [1]. If you
> reported it somewhere else, of course you'd be told it's the wrong
> place....
>
> Unfortunately, I think deja-dup is unmaintained, so reporting bugs is
> not likely to result in fixes. It's not even user-visible, for many
> years, now due to some problem with the appdata file. But there's no
> chance of a fix if the issue isn't reported, so still a good idea....

OK this is the most frustrating of a TON of frustrating parts of this
conversation.

1. WHY DO WE SHIP PACKAGES THAT WE 'KNOW' AREN'T MAINTAINED?
2. Why are people 'maintainers' of such packages if they know upstream
is dead and they aren't going to maintain things.
3. If someone isn't going to read the bugzillas why do we even have
them in bugzilla or the distribution?

I am saying this from the point of view that we have put various
people in no-win situations and then set them up to fight each other.
A. The developer who  has to watch N packages that they can't
maintain, don't want to maintain, and are going to ignore.
B. The user who gets told to file a bug which is never going to be looked at.

The only person who is making anything here is the Press person who
gets to write a yearly "Why is Fedora so messed up yet again?"

Either maintain and watch a package and its bugs or don't. If you
can't watch more than 5 packages.. then watch those packages and drop
the rest. If the f'ing distro drops down to 200 packages then we can
at least say we know those 200 are maintainable and the OS is usable.
Then we can ship snappacks of the rest of the software that the user
can have a nice big button saying "good luck"

> Michael
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/deja-dup
> --

Stephen J Smoogen.