Re: F24, small backward steps

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 10:00:32AM -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To be clear, the problem is that a small handful of package maintainers
> (including Bastien) are collectively "responsible" for all of the GNOME
> and freedesktop components in Fedora (including fprintd), and it's
> simply not reasonable to expect them to read all the bugs that are
> assigned to them, let alone take the time to forward them upstream. If
> you use Red Hat Bugzilla, the right developers may never notice your
> bug report at all.
>
> You have a much better chance filing bugs upstream. You should only use
> Red Hat Bugzilla for these components if you happen to know there is a
> specific maintainer who actually looks at the Red Hat bugs for that
> specific component, or if you're planning to propose it as a release
> blocker, or if you just don't care whether anybody sees your bug. If
> you have a packaging bug then it's the right place, but please ping
> someone to be sure it gets noticed.
>
> Of course this is not how Bugzilla is intended to work, but it is how
> it actually works for GNOME stuff. It's unfortunate, but without some
> Launchpad-style automatic bug forwarding, this is going to remain the
> case indefinitely.

This is a truly awful experiance from POV of a Fedora user filing bugs :-(
We've set a silent trap for them with no warning of the fact that their
bug reports are going to be ignored until Fedora EOL procedure closes
them :-(

Even if we can't enhance Red hat Bugzilla, we can at least do more to
alert users to this so they stand a chance of doing the right thing.

eg, update the component description to tell user to file in GNOME
bugzilla instead, and have a bot that adds a comment to any new bugs
that are still filed, closing them WONTFIX and asking the user to
re-open against upstream GNOME bugzilla, instead of leaving the bug
open and ignored until Fedora EOL.

Regards,
Daniel