Re: finish retirement of sysvinit-only packages Re: Schedule for Friday's FESCo Meeting (2016-07-29)

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 12:11 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 6:15 AM, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson
> <johannbg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 08/02/2016 12:25 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>
>>> It's a burden, usually solved by ignoring one or the other. Since
>>> systemd is always incompatible and always will be incompatible with
>>> anything but relatively modern Linux distrubitutions, guess which
>>> packages never get ported to non-Linux systems.
>>

>> Actually in many cases upstreams that are targeting different types of *nix
>> dont ship initscripts et all but instead have downstream ship those instead
>> as an upstream policy ( we had few rejection of type unit files from
>> upstream based on that ) so I'm unsure how much of a burden that really is.
>
> The first one that leaps to mind as publishing init scripts in their
> main source code, and no support for systemd,  is OpenSSH. That's
> fairly understandable the base operating system for OpenSSH is
> OpenBSD.
>
> The second critical daemon that provides SysV init scripts and
> includes no systemd support in the upstream source code is httpd.
>
> Do I really need to dig further?

Those do get ported. I didn't mean to be confusing. "buildbot", the
Python based build tool, is unlikely to ever be ported. Not that it's
a very good tool, but it remains additionally unlikely to be ported
due to the extra burden of having to provide system admin provided
systemd integration.