Re: finish retirement of sysvinit-only packages Re: Schedule for Friday's FESCo Meeting (2016-07-29)

On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 04:18:18 +0100
Sérgio Basto <sergio@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> why we need retire sysvinit-only packages ?

Because they have had 10+ releases to adjust and haven't.

> is not suppose systemd
> support sysvinit and why don't you fixed the packages like you will do
> for nagios ?

systemd does support sysvinit scripts, but it's a good deal less
optimal than a native systemd unit file for lots of reasons.

nagios has a systemd unit file. It was setup/enabled in 2013, but
recent spec file changes caused it to ship the old sysvinit script
instead. Thats just a bug.

> BTW I'd like keep 2 packages noip and tetrinetx.
> Shouldn't you give some time or open bug reports before do the
> retirement ?
>
> why such hurry ?

The orig ticket ( https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/615 ) was
opened 5 years ago.

9 months ago an announcement was made:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/3XJN6JZ4S7SOG2KH2UT3GYY4K7LAJGGU/

Then another 6 months ago:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel-announce%40lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/ULPGRGI3OBFXWZISXRIX2S3Z35RBCMBN/

We could keep putting it off, but it's had a long long ramp.

kevin