Re: finish retirement of sysvinit-only packages Re: Schedule for Friday's FESCo Meeting (2016-07-29)

On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 12:29 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 04:18:18 +0100
> Sérgio Basto <sergio@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> why we need retire sysvinit-only packages ?
>
> Because they have had 10+ releases to adjust and haven't.

There remain compelling reasons to avoid systemd for daemons. The need
for system privileges to activate systemd based startups instead of
being to debug init scripts as a non-root user and the complete
incompatibility of systemd based startip configurations with any other
operating system, including all the actual UNIX operating systems,
means a very real compatibility cost for cross-platform work.

Sysv init compatibility is invaluable for cross-platform or older OS
work, such as for the still supported RHEL 5 and RHEL 6, which makes
supporting such projects for EPEL backporting require multiple sets of
init scripts. It's also much easier to start daemons and tie the
actual operation of the daemon to the last core  dump with sysV init
scripts, because of the tendency of daemontools to "flap" failing
daemons when trying to restart them, and the difficulty of tying the
debugger and the console to the startup daemon itself.

Why waste the cycles for daemons that benefit very little from systemd
management?

>> why such hurry ?
>
> The orig ticket ( https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/615 ) was
> opened 5 years ago.

It is true that hte migrations to systemd has been long in the
process, and is hardly new.

> We could keep putting it off, but it's had a long long ramp.
>
> kevin

I'd leave the sleeping dog lie. It's going to keep coming up with
cross-platform packages and maintainers who don't care to spend spare
cycles to integrate systemd support.