Re: finish retirement of sysvinit-only packages Re: Schedule for Friday's FESCo Meeting (2016-07-29)

On Mon, Aug 01, 2016 at 07:58:42AM -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> There remain compelling reasons to avoid systemd for daemons. The need
> for system privileges to activate systemd based startups instead of
> being to debug init scripts as a non-root user and the complete

I'm confused; are you saying that these mythical init scripts don't
require root to function?  If not, why would an equivalent systemd unit
file somehow require root to activate/invoke?

As for debugging, if anything, systemd makes it simpler to debug
failures.

> incompatibility of systemd based startip configurations with any other
> operating system, including all the actual UNIX operating systems,
> means a very real compatibility cost for cross-platform work.

Um, not even "real" UNIX uses sysvinit any more.  And, incidently, only
the most trivial of init scripts is portable -- even to other Linux
environments, much less non-Linux systems.  (Years ago I lost quite a
bit of my life trying to maintain "portable" networking-related
init scripts.  What a cluster@$#%@)

> Sysv init compatibility is invaluable for cross-platform or older OS
> work, such as for the still supported RHEL 5 and RHEL 6, which makes
> supporting such projects for EPEL backporting require multiple sets of
> init scripts.

Um, it's a fairly trivial bit of specfile work to alternatively include
an init script or a systemd unit file based on EPEL5/6 or PEL7/Fedora
builds.

> It's also much easier to start daemons and tie the actual operation of
> the daemon to the last core dump with sysV init scripts.

Um, you do realize that systemd can capture and log coredumps along
with everything else a unit file generates?

> Why waste the cycles for daemons that benefit very little from systemd
> management?

How about -- To provide consistency across the whole system, which means
everything behaves and can be logged/debugged/analyzed the same way?

> I'd leave the sleeping dog lie. It's going to keep coming up with
> cross-platform packages and maintainers who don't care to spend spare
> cycles to integrate systemd support.

Just so you know, "not caring to spend cycles to integrate systemd
support" means that you're now ignoring the overwhelming majority of
your userbase.

Anyway.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^