Re: systemd 230 change - KillUserProcesses defaults to yes

On 06/02/2016 11:01 AM, Ray Strode wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Leaking session processes have been a perennial problem that
>> we have been battling forever (gconf, ibus, pulseaudio, the list goes
>> on...). And they are causing actual problems, from preventing re-login
>> to subtly breaking the next session to slowing down shutdown.
>
> This is definitely true. It's a class of bug that's hit us over and
> over again. (in addition to gconf, ibus, and pulseaudio above, you
> could add bonobo-activation-server, evolution-data-server, gam_server
> off the top of my head).  The problem is that background services
> don't generally take display connections, since they don't need to
> display anything.  So they don't die when the display goes away.
>
> We tried to fix this a long time ago with the introduction of dbus
> into the desktop.  The idea was the session dbus-daemon daemon would
> define the scope of the session, and services would grab a bus
> connection if they wanted to be scoped to the session.
>
> Of course, starting in Fedora 24, we no longer have a session bus.
> It's a user bus now.  So the bus won't go away until the last user
> session (for a user) ends, and those background services won't go away
> until they lose their bus connections, since they still rely on
> dbus-daemon to cut the cord when the session ends.  While those
> background services are waiting for their bus connection to disappear,
> they're keeping the session alive (but in a "closing" state).
>
> To me, KillUserProcesses=yes is better from a theoretical
> it-should-have-always-done-this-if-it-could-have standpoint, and it's
> better from real world
> it-eliminates-a-class-of-bugs-that-has-plagued-us standpoint.
>
> I don't like that it requires users to have to change workflows, so
> that's a negative and I understand why the change is controversial.
>
> We may want to consider reverting the user bus change for F24 and
> revisit in F25, not sure.

I don't think we need to change Fedora 24 for this. Unless I misunderstood, this
systemd change has not been pushed to Fedora 24 (nor proposed for it). We're
prepping for how to deal with things in Fedora 25.

So to Smooge's point, I think we should leave this as-is and avoid any new
fallout during Final Freeze. We have months to address things in Fedora 25.