Re: systemd 230 change - KillUserProcesses defaults to yes

On 01/06/16 11:41, Bastien Nocera wrote:

You've obviously never had to run something that's going to take hours
or days to complete on a remote server and not wanted it to abort half
way through because of a network glitch then.

Yeah, I never used nohup. *roll eyes*

Sure, nohup is like the cheap version of screen, and systemd-run would do something basically equivalent when linger is enabled.

The advantage of screen is being able to interact with the process when necessary, for example when doing an OS upgrade on a remote machine and it want to ask you questions.

That's when I use screen, either just setting running something in the
background, or leaving it connected but knowing it will continue if
anything goes wrong and I can just reattach from a new login.

The screen manual says "Screen  is  a  full-screen  window manager that
multiplexes a physical terminal between several processes (typically
interactive shells).".

Sure, and I don't generally use any of that. I'm a very simple screen user and just use it for long running tasks that I need to be able to monitor the output of or interact with remotely.

I'm not against the change in systemd at all, I would just like cleaner ways to make the handful of things like screen and tmux continue to work.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx)
http://compton.nu/