Re: systemd 230 change - KillUserProcesses defaults to yes

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 3:20 AM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

Really, yes. I use PKA to login to Fedora 23 server where I then run
tmux and then in a session I run weechat. I then disconnect from tmux
and logout, and sometimes it's hours or days before I go log back in
and of course I expect weechat to be there having logged everything
since the last time I looked.

There's no way to make this work on a workstation that gets rebooted
possibly a dozen times a day (the suffering life of testing and dual
boot).

>> It seems fine to have some administrative option which prevents that,
>> but I think allowing that behavior should be the default. That way,
>> accidental lingering processes will be cleaned up, but people's
>> expectations around tmux/screen will still be met.
>>
>> I liked the suggestion of having those programs become "scope" aware
>> (https://github.com/tmux/tmux/issues/428) but it looks like upstream
>> tmux at least is not keen on it. What can we do instead?
>
> Patch the applications downstream, or document things with enough details
> and mention it in the release notes.

Really?

I remain unconvinced the 80/20 rule doesn't apply here; where 80% of
the problem this solution is trying to solve relates to DE's not
collapsing its own user session. And the other 20% of the problem is
something an admin could opt in to avoid, apparently for 5 years now,
rather than opt out.

--
Chris Murphy