Re: systemd 230 change - KillUserProcesses defaults to yes

On Wed, Jun 01, 2016 at 01:21:06PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
> Fedora as a distro needs to determine which of these assumptions are
> valid *for Fedora* and set the defaults accordingly, as well as
> determining if/how to give users the freedom to set them differently.

I don't think it's possible to come up with a default that is globally
applicable.  Even the current status quo has its problems.

As an end-user on a multi-user system, I find auto-reaping annoying and
inconvenient.  I don't want my being disconnected to kill something I
had running in the background, and I don't want to leave a login window
open unnecessarily.  Oh, and another pony.

As an end-user on a single-user (GUI) system, I want *everything* to be
cleaned up when I log out because sometimes my desktop envirionment
doesn't terminate things cleanly. (Replace "my desktop" with "the guest
login on my system" if you'd prefer) ...Except when I don't.  Only I
don't know what I'll need to keep until after it's already running.

Yet as someone who adminsters multi-user systems, I absolutely want
stuff to be completely cleaned up after the user logs out, in order to
not waste resources.  If there are long-running jobs then there are
other mechanisms in place to handle them.

Anyway. I've enabled KillUserProcesses on my personal systems, because
it solves more headaches than it creates.

On the other hand, my multi-user systems need screen/nohup/tmux to
automagically do the right thing before I can turn KillUserProcesses on,
or I'll have a minor user revolt on my hands..

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^