Re: Please stop modifying other people's packages without coordinating with them first

Here I totally agree with Till and usually I'm doing the same (it doesn't happen often, but anyway).

Because I also not available day to day. For example today I have time and next time I will have time like month..

Just wanted to share my opinion.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016, 7:23 PM Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 12:20 PM, Till Maas <opensource@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 07:47:08AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
>> You misunderstand.  I was not suggesting you ask for permission.  I
>> was stating that IRC contact alone, for whatever reason, is not
>> necessarily sufficient as an attempt to contact a maintainer.  You can
>> convey _much_ more information in an email, to the point of telling
>> them exactly what you are committing and why.  It is so much better
>> than a simple ping or brief sentence or two in IRC.
>
> I agree, that it is possible to be more informative via e-mail. However
> at the time I reached out via IRC, I did not yet know all the details. I
> only knew the build error from the previous build logs and a related
> commit message in upstream git. Therefore an e-mail would be pretty
> useless at this point, unless I stop working then. Otherwise there would
> be several status report e-mails about my slowed-down progress. If I was
> the targeted maintainer, I would be annoyed by this - we are not talking
> about changes that might require an epoch bump here and therefore are
> easily reverted.
>
>> As for waiting for a response, yes I think it is fine to wait a day.
>
> Not sure how it works for other volunteer maintainers, but this does not
> fit with my time slots that I might have available. So waiting a day
> might also mean wait till the next weekend, when I have time for this
> again.
>
>> Timezones alone may mean that the duplicate work you wished to avoid
>> was already queued on the maintainer's side and he was just waiting to
>> finish testing before pushing.  Who knows.  Urgency in fixing packages
>> is certainly appreciated, but this is not a critical package and it
>> had already been broken for a week.
>
> To be honest, a one week old commit to dist-git that does not build due
> to upstream bugs does not suggest to me that the maintainer has an extra
> secret stash of changes that are just waiting of a lot of extra testing.
> If the commit happened recently, it might be different.

You and I are going to disagree on this issue and the finer points
within it.  That is fine.  We will simply have to agree to disagree
because spending further time with back and forth isn't going to be
productive.

Thank you for the very civil discourse.

josh

-Igor Gnatenko