Re: Please stop modifying other people's packages without coordinating with them first

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 07:47:08AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

> You misunderstand.  I was not suggesting you ask for permission.  I
> was stating that IRC contact alone, for whatever reason, is not
> necessarily sufficient as an attempt to contact a maintainer.  You can
> convey _much_ more information in an email, to the point of telling
> them exactly what you are committing and why.  It is so much better
> than a simple ping or brief sentence or two in IRC.

I agree, that it is possible to be more informative via e-mail. However
at the time I reached out via IRC, I did not yet know all the details. I
only knew the build error from the previous build logs and a related
commit message in upstream git. Therefore an e-mail would be pretty
useless at this point, unless I stop working then. Otherwise there would
be several status report e-mails about my slowed-down progress. If I was
the targeted maintainer, I would be annoyed by this - we are not talking
about changes that might require an epoch bump here and therefore are
easily reverted.

> As for waiting for a response, yes I think it is fine to wait a day.

Not sure how it works for other volunteer maintainers, but this does not
fit with my time slots that I might have available. So waiting a day
might also mean wait till the next weekend, when I have time for this
again.

> Timezones alone may mean that the duplicate work you wished to avoid
> was already queued on the maintainer's side and he was just waiting to
> finish testing before pushing.  Who knows.  Urgency in fixing packages
> is certainly appreciated, but this is not a critical package and it
> had already been broken for a week.

To be honest, a one week old commit to dist-git that does not build due
to upstream bugs does not suggest to me that the maintainer has an extra
secret stash of changes that are just waiting of a lot of extra testing.
If the commit happened recently, it might be different.

Kind regards
Till