Re: Please stop modifying other people's packages without coordinating with them first

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 04:29:38PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

> I'm not going to weigh in on the changes, but I did want to address
> this in public so others can learn.

IMHO the kind of changes are important here. The situation was that
there were was an incomplete update to the sigrok packages in Rawhide
and Fedora 23 testing for about a week. This means that any Rawhide user
wanting to use pulseview (the GUI tool for sigrok) could not install it
freshly or would get broken dependency warnings when trying to update
Rawhide. The same goes for F23 testing. Also the necessary buildroot
overrides required for F23 were expired, requiring them to be extended
to be able to build pulseview and also sigrok-cli, which just failed in
F23 because of missing dependencies from the buildroot overrides.
But pulseview also did not compile because of errors already fixed by
upstream.

So the main change I did was adding unmodified upstream patches to
pulseview getting it to compile. While doing this I noticed that
pulseview was not using the %license macro yet, so I fixed this as well.

> IRC alone is not sufficient.  We cannot expect volunteer maintainers
> to be on IRC all the time.  In the future, please email and wait at
> least a bit for a reply.

Given the changes that I described, do you still state that this (fixing
incomplete updates/dependencies/package building) is something that
provenpackagers should first get permission to do by the package
maintainer? I mainly cared about not doing the same work twice and
making sure that I do not commit something conflicting to the GIT as the
same time the maintainer might commit something, which is why I found
IRC sufficient at that time. Also IMHO it is beneficial to the Fedora
project to fix breakage in the repositories as soon as possible. And as
a package maintainer myself I would be thankful for every other package
maintainer fixing bugs in my packages while I sleep. Since I am a
volunteer maintainer myself, the strict requirement to get permission
via e-mail to fix sigrok in this situation would have meant that I would
have done nothing. Yesterday I had time and motivation to look into it
and fix it. But if I asked "May I please fix your package?", it is very
likely that I would not have the time or motivation to actually do it
once I get the response.

Kind regards
Till