Re: Please stop modifying other people's packages without coordinating with them first

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 13:57:39 +0100
Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 15-02-16 13:47, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > While I'm still very much on the fence about this, moving to pagure
> > for dist-git might very much help in these situations.  Being able
> > to send a pull request with your changes easily means you've fixed
> > it, the maintainer just needs to pull it in.  All of the
> > information is contained within that pull request.  It would seem
> > to solve many of our communication issues.
>
> I do not think that adding a pull-req to the process of proven
> packager commits is really helpful. To me this feels like adding
> unnecessary red-tape in a response to one are two cases where a
> provenpackager commit was not 100% to the liking of the maintainer.
>
> How many proven packager commits do we have a day / a week ? And how
> much of those lead to "raised eyebrows" of the official package
> maintainer ?
>
> I think that with things like broken deps due to soname bumps +
> mass-rebuild failures having proven=packagers help out is 99.9%
> of the time very welcome help. I certainly always value such help
> with my packages.
>
> Both as a maintainer (having to respond to pull-reqs means extra work)
> and as a proven packager I'm not in favor of adding this extra
> red-tape.
>
> Note that it does not matter how easy you make this, it is still more
> work then the current process for both the proven-packager and the
> maintainer. And no it is not just 5 seconds with a good gui, that
> totally discounts the mental load of needing to do another task
> and loosing concentration / breaking your work flow because of those
> 5 seconds.

dunno if Josh means the pull requests to be mandatory, but they would
add a nice option how to provide fixes for package maintainers from
non-proven packagers. A review of the suggested changes can be useful
and will be easier than patch attached in bugzilla.

		Dan