Re: "Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

Am 09.12.2014 um 21:25 schrieb Pete Travis:
Lets say I do have an understanding of network basics, just for the sake
of argument.  I share my application with you.  The application is
intended to listen on the network, you know this and want the
application for that purpose.  You run the application, it tries to
listen to a network port.  Magick, prayers, and the ghost of Charles
Babbage - or maybe some hypothetical dbus service- does *something* to
find out if you really wanted that.  You did.  Neither one of us is is
made incompetent by the convenience.

i did not say that nor is anything i said in that thread meant abusive

Here's the thing: firewalld will let this happen.  at here is a dbus
interface.  Thomas has proven more than willing to accommodate RFEs.
Nobody is asking for changes that would solve the problem of frustrated
users or developers encountering firewall restrictions.  The GNOME folks
don't want the UX compromise of rote-clicked dialogs.  Nobody else is
suggesting an alternative implementation that actually *improves* the
Fedora experience.  Ideas get more traction than complaints

that's true

*but* if i do not have a idea to make things really better with all side-effects i hestitate to change the current behavior until i have a good idea

the opposite happened with the change of this topic