Re: "Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 11:52:01AM -0700, Pete Travis wrote:
> On Dec 9, 2014 11:33 AM, "Chuck Anderson" <cra@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I should have said "ask firewalld for a port to be opened" - sorry, I
> thought that would come from the context.
>
> Are you saying bind() should be talking to firewalld, via some approval
> agent?  how do we make that happen?

My point was that a firewall is superfluous if a program can just ask
firewalld to poke a hole in the firewall for it automatically, because
a program can already ask the system to open a listening port for it
using bind(2) (and listen(2) and accept(2)) when no firewall is
present.

It means that in a world where automatic-hole-punching exists, the
only use of a firewall on the host is maybe to limit the SCOPE of such
communication, not whether such communication is allowed at all or
not.  This is where firewall zones come in.