Re: New Group Calls For Boycotting Systemd

On Sat, Sep 06, 2014 at 06:54:03PM -0400, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 5:36 PM, Richard W.M. Jones  wrote:
>
> > We need to decide if just because you manage to get an important core
> > package into Fedora 4 years ago, that means you can forever more push
> > any old stuff you want into Fedora, without going back and consulting
> > with the community and FESCo.
> >

> I am puzzled.  Upstream doesn't need to consult FESCo for developing new
> features.  However it does need to consult FESCo for Fedora integration and
> it seems that systemd has.  Can you point out any counter examples?

There's been a lot of change between systemd-26 (Fedora 15 GA) and
system-216 in Rawhide.  I'm just looking at the Fedora packages here,
not the upstream features, because as you say, upstream can develop
whatever they want and good luck to them.

Anyway, systemd now does the following which it didn't do in F15:

 - has its own network configuration system
 - has a way to control firmware boot settings
 - intercepts coredumps
 - has the journal
 - has tools for setting the system time and timezone, and locale
 - has a firstboot mechanism
 - detects virtualization (long story here, but a very bad idea to
   encourage programs to do this)
 - has the sysusers password mechanism
 - has a tool for maintaining kernels in /boot
 - has a login manager
 - has a DBus inspection mechanism (useful, but does it need to be
   in the init system?)
 - has a 'top'-like program for control groups
 - has a program for comparing /etc configurations
 - has its own version of the FHS and a tool for managing it

I question how many of these should be core concerns of an init system.

Rich.