Re: New Group Calls For Boycotting Systemd

Am 07.09.2014 um 19:49 schrieb Richard W.M. Jones:
> On Sat, Sep 06, 2014 at 06:54:03PM -0400, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 5:36 PM, Richard W.M. Jones  wrote:
>>
>>> We need to decide if just because you manage to get an important core
>>> package into Fedora 4 years ago, that means you can forever more push
>>> any old stuff you want into Fedora, without going back and consulting
>>> with the community and FESCo.
>>>

>> I am puzzled.  Upstream doesn't need to consult FESCo for developing new
>> features.  However it does need to consult FESCo for Fedora integration and
>> it seems that systemd has.  Can you point out any counter examples?
>
> There's been a lot of change between systemd-26 (Fedora 15 GA) and
> system-216 in Rawhide.  I'm just looking at the Fedora packages here,
> not the upstream features, because as you say, upstream can develop
> whatever they want and good luck to them.
>
> Anyway, systemd now does the following which it didn't do in F15:

the first problem is that you only post a endless
list without mentioning what is our problem with
it and how if at all it affects something

>  - has its own network configuration system

which does nothing as long it is not used
even a own binary

>  - has a way to control firmware boot settings
>  - intercepts coredumps

and introduces what problem?

>  - has the journal

and introduces what problem?

* it does not do any harm
* you just can use rsyslog as all the time before
* benefit: you get even stdout to rsyslog

>  - has tools for setting the system time and timezone, and locale
>  - has a firstboot mechanism

and introduces what problem?

>  - detects virtualization (long story here, but a very bad idea to
>    encourage programs to do this)

no it is *not* a bad idea to start services conditional

the best example are VMware tools

that way you can build appliances with the guest-tools enabled
that images will run on physical and virtual machines unchanged
on bare-metal the tools systemd-unit will skip start

on http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.devel/199113
*you* complain about systemd-readahead - guess what - if a virtual
machine is detected it is skipped

>  - has the sysusers password mechanism
>  - has a tool for maintaining kernels in /boot
>  - has a login manager
>  - has a DBus inspection mechanism (useful, but does it need to be
>    in the init system?)
>  - has a 'top'-like program for control groups
>  - has a program for comparing /etc configurations
>  - has its own version of the FHS and a tool for managing it
>
> I question how many of these should be core concerns of an init system

i question if you did recognize that systemd is more than a init-system
one goals is to standarize things between distributions

if it is done properly and careful it leads in less wasted time
for upstream developers, pakcage maintainers and adopters