Re: EPEL (was Re: RFC: Proposal for a more agile "Fedora.next" (draft of my Flock talk))

On 07/23/2013 07:11 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
so you have no plan how large the positive impact is but you
attack Redhat and employees in a subtle way wherever you can?

For the first you do realize that Red Hat is a corporate and my view of corporate involvement is the same in open source community is the same regardless of what that company is called and as a company they exist to make money. Red Hat just approaches open source community with ROI.

Now if I was cabable of being subtle yes then you might claim that I did that but since I'm not that argument of yours does not hold water and somehow you make the assumption that all Red Hat employees have positive impact on the project or in upstream in general even those employees that literally walk about and claim that Red Hat owns various upstreams I guess you have never met those individuals?

Look at the Gnome desktop team history here [1] within the project or for example just recent case [2] where one spends several hours fixing outdated and broken spec file submits in good faith trying to help only have that work dismissed because the Red Hat maintainer does not "feel" like it and wants to replace it with something that violates the projects guidelines instead [3][4].

Do you know who approach me and thank me for looking into and help fixing this. Obviously it was not Steve, Do you think it was Jeff Layton which I do believe is the other NFS maintainer nope not him either it was Harald Hoyer, he noticed I was helping out and he approach me and thanked me for it.

And if you think about it, how many thanks do you see in general in bug reports or in changelog an simple thanks or thank you from Red Hat employees to community contributions?

The fact is we live in a rather thankless community and that is something we might be better at something that Picard would indeed want us to do.

So I dont see how you can somehow make the assumption that all Red Hat employees have positive impact on the project.

Many of them do an many of them care but not all of them some are just doing this as part of their job.

JBG

1. https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2013-June/008096.html
2. https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=776033
3. https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=777401