Re: Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

On 02/08/2013 07:23 PM, Martin Sourada wrote:

  * gnome devs are systematically removing features many former gnome
    users thought were useful, and sometimes adding them back again
    after a year or so of complains.

Today's xkcd is relevant---"every change breaks someone's workflow"

http://xkcd.com/1172/

For the record, I found Gnome3 a little baffling initially, but then grew to like it. At first I missed my icon shortcuts in the top bar, etc. On the other hand, I liked the fact that I could find applications by just typing their name, rather than hunting through pop-up menu hierarchies---I realized that in G2 I ran many GUI apps from term windows. Overall, the annoyance factor was about the same as when I lost my G2 configuration, which happened a couple of times due to reinstalls and G2 bugs that required removing ~/.gnome2

From what I hear that was a common experience: a sigh, something gained, something lost, no big deal overall. I am sure there were more conservative people who were more upset, to the extent that they may have switched to another system, but the flip side of it is that those likely to switch switched already so no big migrations in the future.