Re: Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 05:58:01PM +0100, drago01 wrote:
> How so? You'd have to just port over the other layers to work with the
> new stuff and in F19 focus on the UI.
> Now you had to do both at the same time with the same amount of man power.

I haven't looked at the new code, but I've spent a _lot_ of time with the
old. I don't think the new UI is just a re-skinning, but is a redesign of
the program's more fundamental architecture. It now supports a "hub and
spoke" model for option selection followed by a second stage where choices
are applied, where as the old model was based around linear steps. That
makes it harder to separate the changes, and I think it very reasonable to
assume that a lot of the backend work would have to have been done twice.

Now, having gone through this, the program is more ready for future
adaptation. Maybe in another decade we'll need another big redesign, but
until then, the current work will make it *more* possible to develop future
Anaconda improvements in Rawhide in parallel with a stable maintenance
branch.

At least, that's my interested-outsider view here.

--
Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁  <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>