Re: Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

On 11/10/2012 05:12 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
But it's not_helping_  anything. It's not signal. It's just noise. I
didn't say 'you need 6GB of RAM to install Fedora'. I said to Kevin
'you're comparing the minimum requirements from a time when 256MB of RAM
was a standard desktop configuration to a time when 6GB is a standard
desktop configuration'. Replies that just look at a number and go 'haha
I have this other number!' are not helping anyone with anything. It's
just more of the noise that plagues this list. Keep the wider topic in
mind and make sure your arguments contribute to it.

You mean like you say old hw is not relevant and all new hw has gigs of ram failing to realize that we have actually gone a full circle and now the market is filled with arm devices with small memory?

How much memory did the devices we just gave to contributors in selective states and country's?

Heck this spring I took an farmers laptop from 2003 which had 192 mb of ram tor out the disk because I could not install Fedora directly to it put it into another laptop that had more memory, installed Fedora LXDE ( which ran just fine once installed ) put it back in the old laptop hooked it up to an Ethernet cable ( from his home to his barn ) configured it to bootup, auto login and open a specific web page so the farmer could use his old laptop to go to the nations sheep registry and register how much each lamb weighted.

He could not afford a tabled even if he could he would never have taken it in the filth in the barn, had this old laptop laying around that still worked hence it was reused to serve one specific task to make his life easier.

And if memory servers me correct there were people in the community that work with refurbishing old hardware and shipping it third world country's to be reused with Fedora on it.

So there is actually valid strong point in shrinking the anaconda's memory usage but you are right I dont have time to "shrink" anaconda's memory usage I doubt that you have it either and neither do the anaconda developers themselves hence no point in debating this any further and those that can help shrink anaconda's memory usage should rather spent their time on helping them or wwoods beating anaconda or fedup in usable state hence there is no point in continuing this discussion any further...

JBG

JBG