Re: Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

> So right now, we are doing substantially *better* at supporting old
> systems than we were in 2003.

Oh, god, I'm pulling a Kevin with this list spamming, but this is just
too glorious not to post. I couldn't resist taking a trip in the wayback
machine. Here we are in Fedoraland, 2003:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2003-December . What do
we find?

Well, we find someone complaining that everything's just too bloated:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2003-December/047891.html

"curious that 3 of these 4 things have to do with reducing code
footprint. I guess you can infer that either I have too much old
hardware, or bloat has become an issue, or I suppose that I'm just
totally off-base here"

This provokes a huge thread which goes firing off in all sorts of
directions, during which people including Seth Vidal and Jesse Keating
have a passionate debate about exactly what ought to be included in a
minimal install:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2003-December/048318.html

"Ah but the barebones system won't include yum.  The absolute must
include stuff will be a command line rpm capable of installing rpms
from a CD or such.  Barebones means barebones."

The same thread - such a damn goldmine! - also features a debate about
whether we really want to support all these pesky legacy systems with
386 CPUs. Bill Nottingham seems to have been firmly on my side all these
years:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2003-December/047967.html

"I'm not sure that scaling back the requirements that much is something
that fits the model of always moving forward with new technology."

And - diving back in the thread, but I saved the very best for last -
someone complaining about how damn bloated our memory requirements have
gotten, and why can't they install on their perfectly good old hardware:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2003-December/047907.html

"Why must I waste min 64 megs ram on an old gateway box, I like the idea
of able to bare bones install on 32 megs ram or less, i have a 486 gw
box ran for years, no need to upgrade it for what it does, still runs a
VERY ancient version of RH because it has 8 megs ram and nothing since
rh6 will install, to put a modern OS on it i could put slackware, but
why slackware, when RH should do this as it used to, a text install
should use SFA as it doesnt need gui.."

Well, you know, it's all about memory usage in the package installation
process, as Seth points out:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2003-December/048089.html

Meanwhile, our trusty European punctuation-less shit-stirrer (sound
familiar, anyone?) is still saying we suck if we can't support minimal
memory installs, and we should be better than 'winbloze':

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2003-December/048553.html

"But what about the main point in question, if we can do it with upto
RH6, we can do it now with current slackware, so why cant we do a basic
text install in fedora with piddly amount of ram, I mean, this is linux
afterall, not winbloze :)"

And someone is making Kevin's argument, although not accusing anyone of
being the cause of environmental devastation in China:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2003-December/047977.html

"Moving technology forward doesn't HAVE to mean being in a race with
memory, cpu, and disk producing companies.  We want to scale small
as well as large, and I'm not strictly opposed to making this
available if we can figure out how to do it without making life
significantly harder for us."

Justin Forbes - Justin! - is around, and being as forward thinking as
usual:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2003-December/047892.html

"Concurrent FC2 releases for x86_64 and i386."

Fedora: plus ca change, plus c'est la meme fucking chose. And the same
people, even.

Truly, Ralf, Fedora is "going down the drain".

This is gonna keep me amused for the next week easy. :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey