Re: Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

On Sat, 2012-11-10 at 04:56 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 11/10/2012 04:46 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >> My hp pavilion came out of the box with 2GB ram bought last year ago and
> >> tablets and various other devices aren't that high on memory...
> > That's 1.2GB more than it needs. So what's your point? We support 2GB
> > devices. Just fine. We support 1GB devices.
>
> *cough* tmpfs *cough*
>
> Not that I have been bitten by or explicitly looking at it but depending
> how close to upstream systemd Anaconda is an % percentage of that ram is
> being reserved else where ;)

dude, seriously. you of anyone should know how many install tests I run
per cycle. I run most of them in a 1GB VM. I went to 2GB for alpha
because debug kernels chew RAM, but I've been using 1GB ever since. I'm
not throwing around numbers like 6GB because I think our installer
should require 6GB of RAM, I was making a specific point to kevin.

I recognize the contradiction impulse because I'm guilty of it myself
too sometimes. it's fun to read a mail, see '6GB', cut out all the
context and point and yell HAHA I HAVE A SYSTEM WITH 2GB SO YOU'RE
WRONG!

But it's not _helping_ anything. It's not signal. It's just noise. I
didn't say 'you need 6GB of RAM to install Fedora'. I said to Kevin
'you're comparing the minimum requirements from a time when 256MB of RAM
was a standard desktop configuration to a time when 6GB is a standard
desktop configuration'. Replies that just look at a number and go 'haha
I have this other number!' are not helping anyone with anything. It's
just more of the noise that plagues this list. Keep the wider topic in
mind and make sure your arguments contribute to it.

It is also not helping to say 'hey I vaguely remember this other topic
that came up which was something to do with memory so I'll make an
assertion I can't actually back up'. If you think tmpfs-by-default might
be affecting anaconda's memory use, you know what you can do? Go run an
anaconda install, check if it actually uses a tmpfs, and check how much
RAM that uses. This is not beyond your capabilities. You could do that,
and report your results, and that would be signal, not noise. Saying 'oh
hey but tmpfs!' is not signal, it is noise.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey