Re: New release cycle proposal (was Rolling release model philosophy (was ...))

Le 06/11/2012 20:05, Peter Lemenkov a écrit :
> 2012/11/6 Matthieu Gautier <mgautier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> So you not a maintainer but you still suggesting that we, maintainers,
>>> should do 2 times more job by supporting several simultaneous Fedora
>>> versions instead of 3 right now for more than two years. And that's
>>> all just because you think it's a good idea to spend my personal time
>>> on the rreleases I'm not using anymore.
>> No, I never suggest that. Preview versions have a timelife of 6mo
>> instead of 12.
>> Stable version have a lifetime of 24mo (12mo for regular updates)
>> instead of 12.
> Exactly what I'm saying - two times more job. So who's gonna pay us
> for the time wasted on supporting distributions we're not using
> personally?
>
> I think you didn't get the maintainers motivation (except those RH
> fellows whoi just did the job) - we're doing our part because we're
> using Fedora daily. What you're suggesting isn't fun anymore. So
> somebody should pay for that.

Hum.. It should be some misunderstanding somewhere :

For security updates:
- First half of the year : 2 versions to maintain (+1 version in dev) =>
As usual
- Second half of the year : 3 versions to maintain (+1 version in dev)
=> Ok, more work, but definitively not 2 times more

For other updates:
- First half of the year : 1 version to maintain (+1 in dev) => Less work
- Second half of the year : 2 versions to maintain (+1 in dev) => As usual

*Regards*
Matthieu Gautier