Re: Default image target size [Was:Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2012-06-18)]

On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 14:59 -0800, Jef Spaleta wrote:

> We get a spin out the door we get on the spins page for a release or
> two....we are rocking the world. And then for some reason on the next
> release we all fall behind and we don't keep up with the necessary
> integration changes.  And CDE is just horribly broken for months.  A
> lot of bugs get set as release blockers and we are pinged...but we
> just don't get the work done.....
>
> At one point in the pre-release process does our Spin get culled from
> the herd and we are told..sorry..this release won't have a CDE spin?
> At what point does the QA and release team just punt?

We don't have any precedent or process for that, as we've only ever had
the two release blocking desktops, and they have always been solidly
maintained.

In practice, I suspect that our processes are comprehensive enough that
we'd notice at Alpha or, at latest, Beta stage that a blocking desktop
was horribly broken and not being fixed, and between Alpha and Beta or
Beta and Final we'd try and get something done about it; if it wasn't
done, we'd take the desktop off the list before the first TC. But that's
just a guess.

It's worth noting that we certainly have shipped non-blocking spins in
completely broken states in past releases, and there is at present
nothing to prevent this happening. There is zero guarantee of testing
for non-blocking spins. QA did no formal validation of any spins besides
Desktop, KDE, LXDE, Xfce and Sugar for F17.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey