Re: Default image target size [Was:Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2012-06-18)]

On 06/19/2012 03:19 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
If an manpower to cover anything else then critical path became a
>concern we should fetch that manpower from the relevant SIG's community.
>
>Basically the plan was to reach out for example to the
>Gnome/KDE/XFCE/LXDE/Sugar community's to ask for assistant to cover
>their relevant part of required testing if that was the case.
>
>If you think about it who are better qualified and more willing to test
>those components other then the people that are using it on daily bases...
This is fine in theory, but it doesn't hold up terribly well in
practice. Just about every time we roll a TC/RC, I mail the lists for
each desktop - GNOME, KDE, Xfce, LXDE, and Sugar - and ask for help in
filling out the validation matrix. We get help fairly often for GNOME
and KDE, and satellit_ usually covers Sugar, but we very rarely get
anything for Xfce or LXDE.

At which point you have to decide "If nobody is willing to test it, can we really call it a blocker?" or you just block the whole release until somebody comes along and tests it (usually yourself).

Ultimatums that require people to do work don't often fly here in Fedora land. Ultimatums that are arranged in "do this, or you lose that status" tend to work better, because the failure case is easier to handle. They lose $status and life moves on.

--
Help me fight child abuse: http://tinyurl.com/jlkcourage

- jlk