Re: fedora mission (was Re: systemd and changes)

On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 15:56 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 01:26:27PM -0400, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > Maybe I was too long winded, or failed to communicate my point: a
> > stable (bug fix only updates, slow feature release), strongly FOSS,
> > strongly upstream seems to be what some (I am not going to make
> > assumptions about numbers) want. I see two problems with this:
>
> Where, keep in mind, "slow" is defined as twice a year, right?
>
> > 1) the nature of such a distro would make it attractive to a smaller
> > percentage of the Linux community
>
> Do you have a basis for this claim? I think it's the opposite.
>
> > 2) the only aspect of that that would be unique is the commitment to
> > upstream -- something which will be appreciated by few
>
> I don't think that's fair at all. Fedora is unique in a lot of ways, and a
> waterfall of updates isn't essential to that uniqueness.

Arthur's idea was better expressed in his original mail. His point was
that a Fedora aiming at the niche described (by Jesse) would differ from
Ubuntu solely in its more rigorous interpretation of 'freedom' and its
attention to upstream, which experience seems to show are not things the
majority of people who go for the Ubuntu niche care much about. I think
this is a pretty reasonable thesis - note how popular non-free software
is with Ubuntu users, how many people use Mint (which is essentially
Ubuntu with even more non-free stuff added), and how few people use/used
the more-strictly-free Ubuntu variations that have existed.

As he put it, "I am suggesting that the mission you would like is
contradictory: not that it cannot happen, but in that it represents an
intersection of people that is very small." The niche described is a
kind of mix of attributes that appeal to entirely different types of
users/contributors.

Do go back and read his original email, Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 01:56:26
-0400 (30/08/10 10:56:26 PM).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey