Re: systemd and changes

On Tue, 24.08.10 13:59, Simo Sorce (ssorce@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:19:38 -0700
> Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 12:10 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> >
> > > People like you and me would opt-in.  (well I would on some hosts)
> > > because we know what we're doing.  Expert eyes get a look at it
> > > before it's forced onto our users, who are already leaving in leaps
> > > and bounds.
> >
> > Again, Pulse/PolypAudio seems to suggest that this is not the case.
> > Why didn't expert eyes who knew what they were doing migrate to that
> > before it become default? Or, alternatively, if the expert eyes which
> > knew what they were doing did migrate, why didn't they catch the bugs
> > that others encountered when it became default?
>
> Sorry Adam,
> I have to say that I tried pulseaudio hard all the way from when it was
> optionl until it became mandatory. It took *many* releases before it
> became *usable* and that generally on on the "right" hardware.
>
> In most cases issues were related to poor testing on disparate HW, but
> my main grudge is that when issues where reported in most cases the
> answer was something to the tune: "the alsa driver suck it is no a
> pulseaudio issue".
>
> Answers like that are BS if you ask me, as applications that didn't
> work with pulseaudio generally worked just fine with pure alsa and the
> supposedly broken driver. So the expert did what they could, ie,
> uninstall pulseaudio and try again 6 months later on the next Fedora
> update.

Well, a wise man once said:

  "Audio hackers unfortunately don't grow on trees. In my counting,
  there are 3 people paid in the whole industry who work on general
  purpose audio infrastructure of Linux. Two of them are basically busy
  with keeping the HDA driver up-to-date, if I am correctly
  informed. The third one is me."

http://lwn.net/Articles/398551/

This is all I have to say about criticism on how we handled this:

http://lwn.net/Articles/398552/

> That said, on the VM I tried F14 upgrading straight from F12 all seem
> fine so far, although the output of systemctl is something I still need
> to get used to (I wonder what "maintenance" means referred to the
> status of a service) ...

That means something isn't right with the service. For more details see:

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd-for-admins-1.html

The term was stolen from Solaris SMF btw.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.