Re: systemd and changes

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:19:38 -0700
Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 12:10 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
>
> > People like you and me would opt-in.  (well I would on some hosts)
> > because we know what we're doing.  Expert eyes get a look at it
> > before it's forced onto our users, who are already leaving in leaps
> > and bounds.
>
> Again, Pulse/PolypAudio seems to suggest that this is not the case.
> Why didn't expert eyes who knew what they were doing migrate to that
> before it become default? Or, alternatively, if the expert eyes which
> knew what they were doing did migrate, why didn't they catch the bugs
> that others encountered when it became default?

Sorry Adam,
I have to say that I tried pulseaudio hard all the way from when it was
optionl until it became mandatory. It took *many* releases before it
became *usable* and that generally on on the "right" hardware.

In most cases issues were related to poor testing on disparate HW, but
my main grudge is that when issues where reported in most cases the
answer was something to the tune: "the alsa driver suck it is no a
pulseaudio issue".

Answers like that are BS if you ask me, as applications that didn't
work with pulseaudio generally worked just fine with pure alsa and the
supposedly broken driver. So the expert did what they could, ie,
uninstall pulseaudio and try again 6 months later on the next Fedora
update.

I still occasionally find issues with pulseaudio, but after a few years
it looks it is stable enough (at least on the HW I have) although not
completely bug free.

As for systemd, I hope that, given it does not directly relate/depends
on strange HW, we can have a much easier life.
Although I have to voice the same worries as others about the attitude
of trying to make things "better" for some very personal point of view
of better, like the decision of changing completely the meaning of
noauto. I hope these were isolated episodes and we nailed them all, but
change for change sake seem a big temptation within the systemd
development team and this is somethign that legitimately causes worry
IMO.

That said, on the VM I tried F14 upgrading straight from F12 all seem
fine so far, although the output of systemctl is something I still need
to get used to (I wonder what "maintenance" means referred to the
status of a service) ...

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York